Skip to main content

Masonisms just before his 8th birthday.

My child has always been pretty comical but over the last couple weeks, he has had some serious doozies come out of his mouth that have made me belly laugh, scoff at and render me completely speechless. If you know me, I don't have to tell you how big this is.

Last year, living in Texas, every day after school was the same "How was your day?" followed by "Well I didn't get in trouble today, so I survived." Since moving back to Kansas, every day I pick him up from school and every day after asking about his day, I get "It was TERRIFIC!!!!" His attitude on life and positivity are such a contagious ray of sunshine. The things he says are starting to be a little more sarcastic, a little more "big kid" and less "childish", and a little more comical in different ways they used to be.

So the other night, he gets out of the shower, which by the way, does anyone else's 8 year old boy actually dry off?! It's like a beached whale in that bathroom every time he gets out and then it's just small puddles in a trail to his bedroom followed by him still dripping as he crawls up on the couch to read before bed. Drives me insane. Anyway- he gets out, throws the door open in zero modesty fashion and announces to the world that he's done. So naturally, my response is "uh great little man, go get dressed AND DRY YOURSELF OFF!!!!" So he (laughing at himself and his own hilarity) says.."No! Like fork me, I'm done! I just took a shower so hot, my legs are like chicken breasts!"

This past weekend, his biological father comes up to see him and while admittedly, he doesn't see his father as much as he'd like, he also has no filter. The verdict is still out on where he got that trait. "A" had gone to Buffalo Wild Wings to watch the McGregor vs. Mayweather fight and I stayed behind to take care of my infant nephew and of course, the boy after he got back. So we're sitting around talking and discussing siblings when I mentioned that my nephew's dad is just awesome! We may not have gotten along much growing up in the same house but now, he is seriously one of my favorite people! Mason chimes in and says "Speaking of super awesome dads...." (To which the biological father gives him a high-five and gets all excited) and Mason continues "...Where's MINE?!" My face screamed "Oh bloody hell child, shut your mouth", immediately hidden by my hand. The ex's new girlfriend nearly dies laughing and the ex himself, well- you can imagine. Oh kids...it's true they'll embarrass the crap out of you at the absolute worst times.

Last night, I pick him up from school and we're discussing his birthday that's coming up in a couple of weeks. He'll be 8 so I was asking him what kind of cake he wanted. He suggests a Power Ranger cake. While I can hold my own under normal settings of baking and meal making, this was a stretch. I told him that I probably couldn't make a Power Ranger cake and in his unfailing belief in his mama, he says "It's ok mom, we'll go inside. We'll watch an episode and actually see what the red one looks like and you can do it." I said "Buddy, I know what they look like. Power Rangers first came out when I was your age. In his not so awesome awareness of time, he responds with "OH! Well then it should be in black and white!"

Hmm....a one-way ticket to Gigi's or history lessons and a timeline. Gosh, that's a tough decision for birthday presents this year.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Could you pass the immigration interview with your spouse?

"A" and I recently had our immigration interview. Of course we passed and he now holds a green card. This allows us to travel but we still aren't sure to what extent. For the weeks leading up to the interview though, it was all about preparation. "How much preparation do you need if you live together?" I was asked this exact question and to answer nicely- I put more into this than I did into prepping for ACT in High School. This was supposed to be a 30 minute grill on the other person. We were going to be separated and our answers compared, so we better know everything. The stories we'd been told by friends who have done this before were crazy. One guy had to take his wedding ring off to make sure there was an indentation. The possible questions are outrageous and ridiculous! I wasn't so much afraid of my diplomatic answers that came out of my mouth. I can do diplomacy there. My face however does not do diplomacy and I am not responsible for the response

Johnny Appleseed's mama.

The boy has been asking for "different fruit" in his lunch box for weeks. "All the other kids" get the fun little squeeze packs of applesauce in their lunchbox and he gets cutie oranges or bananas. His life is so hard and he's incredibly mistreated y'all. The bananas end up as more of a mush finger painting from him having elephants sit on his backpack or maybe using said backpack as a shield in sumo wrestling before the bell? I'm not really sure what this child does after he leaves the car in the morning and walks into that school. All I know is that the stories that play out in my head answering "What the Christmas happened here?!" simply by looking at his lunchbox are incredible. So in an attempt to say "yes" more this year, I figured I'd make fun mixtures of applesauce. Surprisingly, out of 1 bag of organic apples I got at Aldi for $5- I made a lot and it only took me about 30 minutes of time to make it! First, I peeled al

Summer lessons...

I'd like to say Summer was great to me. For the most part, it was ok but there were some serious lessons learned in the past few months. 1. Summer bucket lists should be well thought out. My child wasn't even with me for half the summer as he goes to his bio-Dad's and my parent's farm for a lot of it. So when he created a summer bucket list that was longer than Santa's list of names, I pretty much knew we were setting ourselves up for failure. 2. "A" started his dream job as a pilot for Republic Airlines in July. If you fly anywhere in North America or Brazil on United, American or Delta, chances are you're flying on a Republic flight. Check your ticket stub and if it says Embraer under your flight number, it's a Republic flight. Training has been stressful for all and he has studied more in the past 3 months than I did in an entire 5 years and 9 majors of college. Yes, I changed my major 9 times- 5 officially, 4 others unofficially. The lesson