Skip to main content

Dear Friend, It's not your business.

It seems like lately my social media feeds are filled with friends and family posting about their new side gigs, or pushing the ones they've done for a long time. So many of my other friends have noticed this as well and are often bothered by it saying things like "Oh my gosh! Why can't Facebook just be filled with puppies, funny sayings and pictures of people's kids and lives?" Quite frankly, because these side gigs are people's lives. Small businesses are harder ran than showing up to work, punching a clock, doing the job and going home. If the business isn't worked, the owner doesn't eat. Is it hard? YES! Is it worth it? Absolutely. The reality is that people are realizing that they have passions and talents that are outside a brick and mortar building. Parents have realized that by being stuck in gridlock for a certain number of hours each week means that much time away from their families. Stress levels are on the rise from parents trying to "do it all". These people, myself included, have finally figured it out. I'm not saying that we don't still need people to work in the 9-5, we do. If that's for you, great! Keep it up! What I am saying is that it's not for everyone. 

What small business owners and those just getting started on their ventures have also figured out is that it's not what you know, but who you know. What's the fastest way to reach a large audience of your warm market (that's "people you know" for those of you who don't speak marketing)? Social media. Here are some alarming stats for you with links, should you feel the need to comment on my research. According to an article published by Networking Times.com, social media marketing is on the rise because it has positively impacted the network marketing world and also been a complete empowerment for current or former employees to become entrepreneurs. If you know anything about investing or money, you know that the cash flow quadrant of the way money works says that being a business owner and eventually becoming an investor is the smartest way to having a healthy portfolio. Now, how do those business owners get their name out there so business can pick up? Social media. It's free and it reaches hundreds of people at once. The downfall for those of you who don't have your own business is that you get to see the posts every day. 

So here's the point - If you're my "friend", in real life, on social media, or only in your head- support me. That may not mean monetarily but here's what it does look like. 

1. Not interested in my business? That's totally fine. You don't have to be. It simply means that you're not my market and as a business owner, I understand that I'm not going to be everyone's cup of tea.

2. I'm not posting for you. I'm posting for everyone else that I'm connected to that are potential clients, and people connected to people who might one day be a potential client. That's how this marketing thing works. You see a post I make one day and think "Oh! My friend might like that. I'm going to share this." That's support. That's helpful. That's increasing my business. That's also a tribute to your mama for teaching you to share! (Thanks, Mom!) 

3. Statistically, it's shown that in order for a business to be the most effective, I have to post on social media at least a couple times a week. If I don't, when people are finally interested in what I have to offer, I start getting posts that say "Hey! Are you still in business?" or they assume (because that's the American way) that I'm not in business anymore and they go to another source who is actively promoting their business. See number 2. For most of us, we have personal pages and business pages. If you don't like all the posts, don't follow my business page. Pretty simple.

4. You're killing me, Smalls. If you don't like my posts or you question the validity of something, send me a private message or a text. DO NOT, under any circumstance, be the troll on my business page that makes some snide remark about what I've posted. Negativity feeds negativity and whether you realize it or not, even if that's not your intention, you've just killed the entire reason for posting. You've invalidated me and you've now hurt my business, not my feelings, my actual business. You don't know how many orders I'm getting from these posts. You don't know the follower base I'm growing because of these posts. It's not your business. You don't know the consequences your trollship manner has just caused because of the comment you made on these posts. I don't come into your business and tell you that you aren't filling out forms correctly, raising your child correctly, cutting someone's hair correctly, taking someone's blood pressure correctly, or arresting that felon correctly. Don't come to my place of business (my home, the event I'm running or yes, my social media business page) and tell me that what I'm doing isn't correct. You don't have to like it or even agree with it. But, I am the expert. I know this business inside and out. It's mine, I created it and I've put blood sweat and tears into it. Acknowledge this and take it to heart or kindly, GTFO. 

5. "Don't take it personally." Business is personal. Customers do business with a company or a person based on the foundation of that company and their experience with that company. Think about how you do business with companies. How do you choose who to buy from? As a friend, I need you to paint me and my business in the most positive light. If that's not possible for you on social media, please unfollow my page, or even unfriend me altogether so you're not tempted to make a mockery of my hard work. This page is my life, my work, my passion and my time. Simply put, I can afford to lose you as a follower. I cannot afford to lose my business because you've decided you're going to stalk me and be a troll. 

6. Are you with me? Because if you are and you're liking or sharing my posts, you're telling your friends about my business when they seem like they might be a potential customer, etc. You're feeding my family. You're helping my kids get to see Disney World. You're making my marriage become stronger and more stable by helping us avoid the number 2 cause for divorce- Money issues. You're instilling a confidence in me that I am valid, believed in and successful. Confidence, charisma and conviction- those are the 3 key points to selling anything. More importantly, you're showing your positive support. Shopping small and local means you're showing value in the American dream and you're valuing me as a friend, as a business owner, and as a human being. This positive support means everything to me and I value you more than you know for showing that positive support.

7. Support me from afar. If that's what you need to do, I thank you. I don't need you to buy from me if you aren't truly in the market for what I have. I'm not here to sound pushy or make you feel you have to buy from me just because we're friends. If you truly want to feel like you're supporting me, an occasional "How's your business going?" is more than enough and very much appreciated! This is what I've chosen to do because I believe in it. I believe in myself and in the job I'm doing. I feel that in some way whether small or large scale, what I'm doing is making a positive impact on the world. Help me do that. As a silent helper or as a flamboyant sharer of my work, help me to be the change we need in this world. I would do that for you and I'm asking for you to do that for me. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Could you pass the immigration interview with your spouse?

"A" and I recently had our immigration interview. Of course we passed and he now holds a green card. This allows us to travel but we still aren't sure to what extent. For the weeks leading up to the interview though, it was all about preparation. "How much preparation do you need if you live together?" I was asked this exact question and to answer nicely- I put more into this than I did into prepping for ACT in High School. This was supposed to be a 30 minute grill on the other person. We were going to be separated and our answers compared, so we better know everything. The stories we'd been told by friends who have done this before were crazy. One guy had to take his wedding ring off to make sure there was an indentation. The possible questions are outrageous and ridiculous! I wasn't so much afraid of my diplomatic answers that came out of my mouth. I can do diplomacy there. My face however does not do diplomacy and I am not responsible for the response

Johnny Appleseed's mama.

The boy has been asking for "different fruit" in his lunch box for weeks. "All the other kids" get the fun little squeeze packs of applesauce in their lunchbox and he gets cutie oranges or bananas. His life is so hard and he's incredibly mistreated y'all. The bananas end up as more of a mush finger painting from him having elephants sit on his backpack or maybe using said backpack as a shield in sumo wrestling before the bell? I'm not really sure what this child does after he leaves the car in the morning and walks into that school. All I know is that the stories that play out in my head answering "What the Christmas happened here?!" simply by looking at his lunchbox are incredible. So in an attempt to say "yes" more this year, I figured I'd make fun mixtures of applesauce. Surprisingly, out of 1 bag of organic apples I got at Aldi for $5- I made a lot and it only took me about 30 minutes of time to make it! First, I peeled al

Summer lessons...

I'd like to say Summer was great to me. For the most part, it was ok but there were some serious lessons learned in the past few months. 1. Summer bucket lists should be well thought out. My child wasn't even with me for half the summer as he goes to his bio-Dad's and my parent's farm for a lot of it. So when he created a summer bucket list that was longer than Santa's list of names, I pretty much knew we were setting ourselves up for failure. 2. "A" started his dream job as a pilot for Republic Airlines in July. If you fly anywhere in North America or Brazil on United, American or Delta, chances are you're flying on a Republic flight. Check your ticket stub and if it says Embraer under your flight number, it's a Republic flight. Training has been stressful for all and he has studied more in the past 3 months than I did in an entire 5 years and 9 majors of college. Yes, I changed my major 9 times- 5 officially, 4 others unofficially. The lesson